Tuesday 17 January 2012

Project - Detailed Observation

I must admit I have really struggled to get into this unit, which is odd because I am a nature freak, and I love drawing natural objects. I am obsessed with eating vegetables, and I go out for walks all the time. I should be full of inspiration and ideas.  Over the Christmas period I slacked completely and didn't pick up a pencil for about 3 weeks. Every time I walked past my sketchbook I felt guilty and panicky and anxious. Every time I ate a piece of fruit I knew I should've drawn it first.  So my drawings so far have been pretty lackluster and I am reluctant to post them on here, but I must and I will. I am feeling more eager and confident now to crack on to the Still Life project. Anyway, here goes!

Line drawing detail
I wasn't very adventurous with my choice of object for this drawing, but it was the only object I could find with interesting lines.
I am actually quite pleased with this drawing, I used a brown fine-liner, and tried very hard to keep just one continuous line. I changed the angle of the pepper a few times - and drew the outside of it too, but I think the most interesting part is the inside.










Getting tone and depth in detail
Again I could've been more adventurous with my objects for this drawing, but I had Aurel Schmidt's bananas floating around in my mind so I knew I had to draw one. I am pleased with my banana, and I think in both objects I achieved a good amount of tone by hatching (for some reason I didn't include any cast shadow when drawing the banana??). I used a graphite pencil and a 6B and 8B pencil, then highlighted areas with an eraser. I definitely think I could've added more texture on the inside of the pepper as it looks a little flat. 


 

Stipples and dots
I am not pleased with my stipples and dots drawing AT ALL (it is a pomegranate by the way) this exercise made me realise I am not comfortable drawing in biro, I just can't control the tone of it enough, and not being able to erase makes me draw all stiff and anxiously. I used a variety of line, hatching, dots and wobbly scribbly lines but unfortunately it didn't work for me! My pomegranate had so much promise to be an interesting object to draw. It is still sitting on my desk, decomposing slightly, so it could make an appearance again soon.





Check & Log

Which drawing media did you find the most effective to use, for which effects? 
What sort of marks work well to create, tone, pattern and texture?
Although line drawings have a nice look about them, for tone and depth I definitely think pencil is the best. Biro and drawing pen can create nice texture if used properly. Crosshatching creates a nice variable tone, but I found that varying the tones with biro was a little difficult, I may practice it more though as I know it can be done! Stippling is best for adding texture and pattern to smaller, detailed areas, rather than large sections.


Did you enjoy capturing details or are you more at home creating big broad brush sketches?
I feel more comfortable capturing the details of things as I am very observant, and like to study things up closely and work on a smaller scale. I often find that big sketches intimidate me as the page looks so massive compared to my hands and drawing tools. This is something I need to work on though, as larger, looser drawings I did in part one of this course was enjoyable and the outcome was good.

Did doing a line drawing get you to look at space more effectively?
Definitely - I often do little continuous line drawings before completing a larger piece as it is a good warm up exercise and gets me into 'looking mode'.




No comments:

Post a Comment