Tuesday 17 January 2012

Research Point 1 - Albrecht Durer

I found out about Durer's work on the Bridgeman Education Library - and funnily enough when I went back to researching Aurel Schmidt, there was a reference to Durer's work.

  A Young Hare - Watercolour & Gouache.
I love the details in the hare's fur - each strand of hair is accounted for and is delicately painted. Durer would lightly sketch his images first, underpaint them with watercolours, and then gradually build up layers of texture of the fur using both watercolour and gouache, using light and heavy brushstrokes to create a beautifully textured painting.

Wing of a Roller 

I love this painting, the detail absolutely captivates me. The colours are beautiful and almost appear to shimmer and glisten. It looks as though if it were attached to a bird, it could fly right out of the page.


I am not usually a fan of studies of skulls, but looking at Durer's drawing makes me want to have a go myself. This drawing was done in pen, ink and chalk. I love the areas that have been highlighted in white chalk, and the light casting on the left hand side which has been carefully hatched. I will definitely be having a go at using chalk/soft pastel in this way.

No comments:

Post a Comment